Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Bomb Cupcake Pops

As a kid, did you make a mad dash when you heard the ice cream truck? As soon as we heard that truck comin, all of us kids made a bee-line for the couch cushions hoping to find just enough change to get a delectable treat. It was the thrill of the chase...to find the money (just enough) & race our little legs out to the street in time to catch that magical ice cream truck. 

One of the ice cream truck staples was the Bomb Pop - 



These were delicious but you were racing time before the sun melted it away. 

I decided to make my own version that wouldn't melt...at least not as fast. :-) 


That's how the Bomb Cupcake pops were born. 
(Side note: Imagine me, in my workout gear, bending down to take photos of this on our back porch. I stoop down to take a bite out of one of these pops for the picture & notice my neighbor on her back porch looking at me. Oh goodness!) 

These pops took several tries. The first fail was attempting to bake the cake in a tomato paste can (minus the paste, ofcourse). As soon as I slid that bad boy onto the pop stick...boom...cracked in half & fell right over. It was just too heavy. Second fail happened using a regular cupcake pan. 


The regular sized cupcakes were too heavy as well. 
I am beginning to sound like Goldilocks & the three bears. 

Thankfully, I found one that was just right, using mini cupcake pans. 
I really scored with these because I found 3 pans for less than $2 at Goodwill! Score! 


What you need: 

Mini Cupcake Pan
Cake Mix 
Food Color
Cake Pop Sticks
Chocolate Melts or White chocolate chips 
Icing (homemade or store bought) 


1. Make the cake mix according to directions & separate into three bowls. 
2. Add red food coloring to one bowl & blue to another. 
3. Pour batter into mini cupcake pans & bake according to directions. (I cut out a few minutes on the suggested time due to the size.) 
4. Melt your white chocolate melts/chips. Dip the end of your pop stick in the chocolate. 
5. Take a blue cupcake & frost the top then slide onto the stick with the chocolate. 
6. Dip the stick again in the chocolate & do the same thing with the white cupcake & repeat with a red cupcake. 

Tips: Cool & refrigerate/freeze cupcakes for at least 30 minutes before arranging on the pop stick; Trim the "rim" of the cupcake for easier frosting. 


Ice each cupcake with the corresponding icing color. If you're a professional baker you may have a better idea regarding icing these. I'd love to know what you think! I'm definitely not a pro baker/icer so I just gave it my best shot. :p 


No melting with these Bomb Cupcake Pops! These would be perfect treats for your 4th of July bash! 

What was your FAVORITE ice cream from the ice cream truck? 
p.s. You can now LIKE Parties for Pennies on facebook! Click here.

Linking Up To: 












7 comments:

  1. So neat! Thanks for the idea! :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so fun! I'd love it if you came over to Cast Party Wednesday and shared them with us. Thanks, I hope to see you there!
    ---Sheryl @ Lady Behind The Curtain---
    http://www.ladybehindthecurtain.com/?p=30588

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are great! Way to go...I hope you'll link up to my Patriotic Project Parade.

    http://www.itsybitsypaperblog.com/2012/06/patriotic-project-parade-linky-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's going to be all your fault when I show up to Haven with blue stained teeth from these pops!
    Can't wait to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol...I look forward to meeting you too! Just look for the girl rocking in the corner & biting her nails! ;p

      Delete
  5. This are awesome, i am glad to read this blog.party of pannies is the amazing idea.thank you for sharing this idea's.
    happy birthday wishes for a friend

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a Great Blog !!
    Reading this blog I got an idea of a gift for my friend's bithday I wish my friend on his birthday which in the next month. One thing is sure that birthday wishes are special so why not choose the best birthday wishes and make your friend feel special by happy birthday wishes . SO Thanks for Sharing such a nice blog…

    ReplyDelete

Anything you say, can & will be used to enhance this blog. :-) Thank you for your comments! <3